We are once again sponsoring college scholarships designed to assist African-American students in attaining their educational goals. Please feel free to download the applicant letter and application for yourself, family, or friend.
Scholarships will be awarded based solely on academic excellence.
An applicant should:
- Be an African-American high school senior within the County of Los Angeles.
- Have at least a B+ (3.5) grade point average on a four-point scale and a SAT score that meets the University of California admissions standards.
- Show evidence of worthy character, promise and leadership qualities.
- Show need of financial assistance to continue his/her education.
The applicant must complete and submit all of the following:
- Provide a 3×2 wallet size.
- An official copy of his/her high school transcript – including Fall 2014 semester grades (Check to make sure SAT/ACT scores are included on official transcript or attach separate copy)
- A personal statement (typed on 8 1⁄2 x 11 paper, 1” margins, 12 Times New Roman or Arial font, single space, and no more than two pages).
- Evidence (e.g. W-2) or personal letter stating financial need with extraneous circumstances on official letterhead.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation – one (1) must be from college/twelfth grade counselor, one (1) from a school department head, teacher, and/or administrator, and one (1) from a religious/civic leader, employer, or volunteer supervisor, who will vouch for the character of the applicant. THE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION CANNOT BE FROM A FAMILY MEMBER.
Application packet must be submitted via U.S. Mail and postmarked no later than Saturday, February 2, 2019 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on Saturday, February 2, 2019.
Mail to: ATTN: Scholarship Committee,
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Los Angeles Alumnae Chapter
PO Box 83905, Los Angeles, CA 90083 – 0905
Via email: email@example.com
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS:
After the interview process recipients will be selected by the Scholarship Committee on or before March 16, 2019. Selection will be based on the applicant’s written application, academic excellence, and interview.
The Scholarship Committee will review applications. Eligible applicants are required to attend an interview. If you are selected, the distribution of the scholarship award will be contingent upon our receiving proof of your enrollment at a four-year institution.
If you have any questions, please call LoRetta Malone at (323)936 – 6803 after 12 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.